They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and we think that enjoying it in a beautiful well-lit space can be just as beneficial!
Here are a few of our favorite looks, plus some helpful tips to consider when choosing a fixture for your own breakfast nook.
Build: @glenngraysonhome || Photo: @allisonelefantephoto || Lighting: @grahamsliving || Staging: @maykercreative
Selecting the Correct Size + Shape Fixture
Getting the scale right is essential to making the most of this charming little area. Here are a few ways you can ensure the fixture you choose isn’t too large or too small.
Measure the room
- A good rule of thumb for choosing the right sized fixture is to add the length and width of your room together (in feet) and choose that sized light in inches.
- Is your eating area tucked into a corner? Simple, just measure the distance from where the light would hang to the wall in both directions to find the size, double the two figures and add them together.
- Is your nook a kitchen bump out? Just double the distance from the light fixture to the wall and then add the number to the width of the space.
Measure the table
- It’s helpful to remember that the fixture you choose should be about three-fourths the size of the width of your table. (ex. If your table is 36” wide, you want to select a fixture that is no more than 27” across).
Consider the shape of the room and table
It’s no surprise that certain shapes go well together, and certain ones do not!
- If you have a circular space and/or table, a round fixture would look best here.
- For a long, rectangular table, a long fixture our perhaps two hanging pendants would look most appropriate.
Pay attention to ceiling height
The height of your ceilings will help determine which style fixture you will choose.
- Low ceilings? Shorter pendants or semi-flush mount fixtures help maintain the proper distance between the light and the top of the table.
Via Pinterest @kpetersondesign
One last thing to consider when selecting lighting for your breakfast nook, is to remember that there can only be one star of the show. That is, you want your main kitchen lights to act as the main character, with the breakfast nook lighting playing the supporting role. Select coordinating, but not matching fixtures that help the area feel put-together and cohesive.
Nashville's Lighting Specialists
If you are looking to elevate your kitchen lighting, then the friendly and knowledgeable team at Graham’s Living is here to help! Call to schedule an appointment with one of our lighting specialists, or swing by the showroom. We look forward to seeing you!